The common pain reliever acetaminophen, marketed under the brand name Tylenol, has been implicated in occurrences of liver damage and liver disease. In fact, however, it is the misuse of the drug that causes the trouble rather than normal use by the patient. Because the medication is so readily available and easily taken, overdose of the brand Tylenol, or acetaminophen is very common among all age groups.
The ease with which tylenol may be obtained and consumed has led to a situation where it is being taken in levels which far exceed the recommended amount of the dose and are also toxic to the human liver, resulting in liver damage and disease.
Tylenol is one of the most popular brand varieties of the drug acetaminophen. It is an over-the-counter drug for which no prescription is required. Tylenol is a non-addictive, low-cost pain reliever and fever reducer. Due to its composition, it is easily tolerated by most individuals who might otherwise suffer from drug allergies or sensitivities. Tylenol is an over-the-counter drug for which no prescription is required.
Because it is so effective and so easy to use for the average consumer, it is easy for the drugs followers to take more than the recommended dose under the guise of “if two make me feel this much better, what could four or six do?” Because the recommended safe dose is two extra-strength/500mg tablets, or no more than 1000 mg every eight hours, it is easy to increase the dosage amount in the name of efficacy and go over the maximum suggested amount. In fact, overuse of Tylenol has been linked to liver disease and liver damage in all age groups.
Increased consumer awareness of the potential for harm that misuse of the “harmless” medication Tylenol possesses can curb its misuse and over consumption. Although tylenol and acetaminophen packaging routinely contains warnings about the safe administration and consumption of the drug, more consumer awareness can help curb misuse and unintentional overuse of the medication. The public will benefit from increased awareness of the risks of overuse of the drug and from understanding that too much of it can indeed be a bad thing!